Thursday, July 16, 2009

No-braska

So I expected to tell you all tales of the super fun and exciting things I have done each day on my two week long trip out west, but that really isn't the case... at least not for the first day.

We set out on Saturday morning around 5am and headed toward Lincoln, Nebraska. The night before I had told a friend of mine, who used to go to school at the University of Nebraska, that I would be camping there but probably wouldn't be going into the city. She responded by saying "There's nothing to do there, even if you did go into the city". So I can't say I wasn't warned.

The drive was boring, at least for the parts I was awake for. I was, however, shocked to see so much corn!!! I thought we grew a lot in Northern Illinois but we have some catching up to do... or maybe Iowa and Nebraska needs to catch up to us?

We got to our campsite around 1:00, set up, ate lunch, and then walked around the grounds. There was a lake, but nowhere to swim so that was a downer. After about an hour or so of just laying around we thought "Hey! Let's go find a local ice cream spot!" Because what else are you going to do when you're bored than eat? Patrick searched for "ice cream" in our Garmin GPS and we began driving.

The local ice cream spot turned out to be someone's house. I guess you can't always trust a Garmin. We were still bored and still wanted ice cream so we figured why not try finding a Dairy Queen. Again we punched it into our Garmin, having not learned from the last experience, and began driving. This time the DQ happened to be a pile of dirt on the side of the road. It was at this point that we decided we would leave the camp ground and drive three miles further west that way we had more time to spend in Colorado the next day. At least we knew there would be something to do there!



Click on the album below for more pictures of my trip!
:
Going West

No comments: